Wednesday, 19 June 2019
A+ R A-


The Housing Authority of the City of Pueblo strives to provide the best quality of service to all of our residents.  In an effort to accommodate our residents' busy schedules, we have provided a list of online resources. All of the resources are also available at the property managers' offices. If you are still in need of assistance, please contact the office at (719) 542-6741.

Resident Resource Center

In an effor to provide our clients information quickly and easily, we have created this area for your convenience. Please us the links below to access pertinent information that you need. Note: the following documents only pertain to our Public Housing Residents. Documents for our other clients will be found under their particular program.


Sample Lease for Public Housing

This document will provide you the basic information covered in our leases.  This page is only a sample and your actual lease may contain other provisions as deemed necessary for  your situation.

Policy for Charging a Resident (Sales and Services)

This document will discribe the current charges which a resident may be required to pay for work performed on their residence.

Public Housing Grievance Procedure

This document is the grievance procedures of the Housing Authority of the City of Pueblo which are in compliance with the regulations of HUD.

Child Care Document

The Child Care Document is used at the time of Annual Re certification, or an interim adjustment to a resident's rent. This form helps us verify the amount of child support coming into the household.

Community Service Time-sheet

This sheet will assists residents keep track of their time performing community service.


Bed Bug Prevention and Control

This document will provide information about bed bugs and suggestions of how to prevent infestations.

Make a Complaint

This document is used to file complaints with the Housing Authority of the City of Pueblo. This form must be filled out completely and mailed to:

Housing Authority of the City of Pueblo
Attn: Complaint Desk
201 S. Victoria Ave.
Pueblo, CO 81003

Places to do Community Service

This document will provide residents some ideas of where they may volunteer to fulfill their community service requirement. This list is not inclusive but provides suggestion where one might seek out volunteering opportunities. As this information is provided by other organizations, there is no implication that volunteer opportunities are available at any given time.

Pet Policy

This document will provide you the necessary forms and policies to have a pet in your residence.


Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I have a change in income?

Income changes need to be reported to your Management Technician within ten days. Because annual income directly effects your rent, your rent may change.  If your rent is going up due to increased income, the new rent amount will be effective the first day of the second month following the change.  If your rent will go down due to decreased income, it will be effective the first day of the month following the change.

How can I add or remove someone from my lease?

You must contact your Management Technician to make any change to the family composition of your lease.  These changed may or may not be permitted, depending on the request.

When is my rent due?

Your rent is due by the end of the day on the 7th of each month regardless of holidays or weekends.. You can pay your rent in the Management Office with a check or money order - we can not accept cash.

How do I report a maintenance problem?

You can report routine maintenance needs to our main office during regular business hours or complete the work order on line For after-hours maintenance emergencies only, you can call our on-call technician at (719) 568-0185.

How much notice do I need to give if I'm going to be moving?

The Housing Authority requires 15-days notice for our Public Housing Program.  This notice must be in writing and delivered to your management office within the time limit.  If you choose not to move after you have given notice, simply contact our office and we will rescind your notice.


HACP Locations


Mineral Palace Tower
1414 N. Santa Fe Ave. 10th Floor (Elevator closes at 4:15 p.m.)
Pueblo, CO 81003
Mon. - Fri.: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Central Management Facility
201 South Victoria Ave.
Pueblo, CO 81003
Mon. - Fri.: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Sangre de Cristo Apartments
2601 Crawford St.
Pueblo, CO 81004
Mon. - Fri.: 12:30 pm - 4:30 pm

For After Hours Maintenance
Emergencies call (719) 568-0185



Copyright © 2019 Pueblo Housing Authority. All Rights Reserved. Content and setup by Barker's Web Design.

Site Map

Privacy: Site Policies


Non-Discrimination Practices

Report a website problem
ehopportunity logo